July 16, 2011

My Fantastic Cheesecake!


A couple of posts ago, I wrote about my new springform pan. I also received some wonderful suggestions for good cheesecake recipes. On Thursday, Monsieur Titi and I had our joint birthday party. Here's the cheesecake I made. I want to thank NADEGE for her recommendation! After my hesitations about making a cheesecake, I realized that it's really easier than you'd think.
I made a few tiny modifications to the recipe but basically followed it. The results were fantastic! Our family was "bluffées" or really amazed at the cake. You'll see the recipe below.







Served with strawberries

Mascarpone Cheesecake with McVittie’s Crust

Crust :
200 grams McVittie’s Original biscuits (these are the closest thing to graham crackers that I've found in France)
100 grams butter

Filling:
500 grams cream cheese
500 grams mascarpone
1-1/4 Cup sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs or 6 medium eggs


Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F). Remove all ingredients from refrigerator so they are at room temperature.

Tightly wrap the outside of a 9-inch springform pan with 3 layers of heavy-duty tin foil. Butter the inside of the pan and cover the bottom with cooking paper.

Crush the McVittie’s biscuits in a plastic bag with a rolling pin. Mix with softened butter. Press this mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan, but not on the sides. Bake crust for about 12 minutes. Let cool.
Decrease oven temperature to 165°C or 325°F. Bring a pot of water to a slow boil.

For the filling: Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, mascarpone and sugar in a large bowl until smooth. Beat in the lemon juice and vanilla. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended after each egg.

Pour the cheesecake mixture into the pan. Place the springform pan in a large roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the springform pan. Bake until the center of the cheesecake moves slightly when the pan is gently shaken, about 1 hour (in a ventilated heat oven). The cake will become firm as it cools. Take springform pan out of the roasting pan, and set the roasting pan aside. Place springform pan into oven, turn off heat. Leave door open. Let cool for 1 hour.

Take pan out of the oven and remove foil. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate (covered in foil) at least 8 hours and up to 2 days. Serve at room temperature.

20 comments:

Frankofile said...

mmm that looks like the real deal!

Mark said...

Since I don't cook or bake, your recipe looks like Greek to me. But, I would die for a bite of that cake. I really shouldn't have looked at it before I ate breakfast. My cereal won't taste nearly as good.
Enjoy your day!
Your Friend, m.

Rob-bear said...

Interesting recipe; great looking cake! Too bad you can't share it through the blogsphere. :(

Jo said...

Happy birthday Dedene and M Titi. Are your birthdays close together that you celebrate together? Me and Grant are 3 days apart and always "share" birthdays. Your cheesecake looks delicious. Have a great weekend. (((hugs))) Jo

meredith said...

That looks good. Your "mussel" pan works well :) Just joking. I don't think I'll ever get the masculin/feminin thing figured out...

Craig said...

Well done... that looks super!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I just love cheese cake so will certainly give this a try. Thanks Dedene and Nadege, Diane

Jesse said...

This cheese cake looks fabulous darling, I can't wait to bake my own....

Thanks for the recipe...

Jesse

Seine Judeet said...

Dedene, that really looks wonderful :) Happy joint birthday :)

Judy
(p.s. Did you already post about why you re-named your blog? )

Nadege said...

Fabulous! Tammy at "la vie cevenole" has a recipe for cheese cake too (on the right side). It really makes sense to use mascarpone; it must have been really creamy.

Flo said...

That looks yummy - now you can make some more, too bad we can't have a piece of it!

claude said...

Mince alors ! J'ai changé de navigateur et je ne retrouve plus le mode traduction.
Il a l'air bien appétissant ton gâteau ! Tu l'as fait dans ta moule à charnière !!!

Annette said...

I'm new to the whole goat thing so I don't know if they can swim. I do know that they detest getting wet so I'm guessing they aren't swimmers. I did see her put one foot in the pool the other day and she jumped backwards like she had stepped on a live wire.

claude said...

Ici aussi il fait un temps pourri.
C'est énervant pour un mois de juillet. Il pourrait pleuvoir la nuit et faire beau le jour, non !

Phil Lowe said...

God that looks good Dedene. Yum yum. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Thérèse said...

Not always easy to adapt recipes from one side to the other side of the pond...
There seems to be always an ingredient missing but at the end everything works wonderfully and the picture is here to prove it.

claude said...

Marrant ton commentaire chez moi, Dedene !
Thérèse a dit que tu avais trouvé une bonne solution.
Il est sûr qu'à nous deux avec mon Chéri, on prendrait moins de place dans la serre que toutes les plantes qu'on y rentre pour l'hiver. La maison serait assez grande pour les recevoir, mais chacun chez soi !!!
Bises.

claude said...

Au fait ! J'ai vu du fromage Philadelphia dans mon hyper marché.
Il ne faut pas le dire à mon Chéri, cela fait plusieurs fois que je fais ma sauce pour les concombres au yaourt car je n'avais plus de crème, Il n'y a vu que du feu.

Barbara said...

Hi Dedene,
Mmm.. you are sending me a reminder to get my hands into baking. Now that Philadelphia cream cheese is widely available on the French supermarket shelves, I have no excuse!

Megan said...

looks really good, I miss cheesecake. Not sure if I can find philly cream cheese here though, unless I go to Carrefour, and I really don't want to do that.