June 29, 2011

Trouver chaussure à mon pied



It's sale time in France --- les soldes!!!! I desperately needed a new pair of running shoes. My little toes are sticking out of my old ones.
Monsieur Titi promised me that we'd go sports clothes shopping during the sales. It's been so hot here that we didn't get out until today.
But there was nothing to worry about, still lots of stuff on the shelves. I found "mon pied" or my happiness in this New Balance beauties. They're a 41 (or probably about a 9-1/2 in the US). I've got BIG feet! They only weigh 300 grams! And, they were 1/2 price! Only 69.95€ rather than 140€.
Can't wait to go out running to try them out.

It might interest you to know that in French, we say "prendre le pied" (take the foot) to mean that we had a good time, or made ourselves very happy. I've heard that this expression comes from the time of the pirates who'd get their share of the booty at the end of an expedition. It would be dealt out in the measurement of the time = the foot. So, you see that the French used the foot as a measurement too, before they adopted the metric system.
And, when we say to find a shoe for your foot (trouver chaussure à son pied) it means that you've found a perfect fit (usually in men...).

8 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

You will love these shoes.

Jo said...

Omw, Dedene, I can't believe it!(your new shoes, I mean!) My darling hubby has just replaced my ancient NB's with an INDENTICAL pair to yours. I haven't gone running in them yet, with all the rain, everything is muddy and I dont' want to "ruin" my new shoes. So still using my battered old New Balance. Thanks for your visit to my post today. All's fine and well, thanks. Blessings and (((hugs))) Jo

Rob-bear said...

Merci de votre explication de «pied». Elle est toute très intéressante.
The important thing is that you got your new shoes. You've already got your man. C'est très bien.

Nadege said...

Congratulations! Not easy finding a good pair of running shoes that fits.

Sara Louise said...

Nice sneaks! I need a new pair too.
And I have been counting down the days to Les Soldes!!! I"M GOING SHOPPING!!!

Jeanne said...

I'm so jealous that you're running, but very happy that you found the perfect shoes to do it in!

Jean said...

Thanks for the little lesson in French sayings. Sometimes we hear things like this and can make the exact translation, but unless you are familiar with the saying, it makes no sense at all !!

PS I just bought a pair of green sandals in the sale today. They were calling to me from the shelf around the corner where we were choosing some new shoes for my dad.

Shanster said...

How interesting. I wear a 42 so I know all about having big feet and finding a good fit. grin. Congrats on your new shoes!!!